servings = 6-8; difficulty = moderate but time-consuming * adapted from Post Punk Kitchen Ingredients: VEGETABLES: • 1 medium-sized head of cauliflower, broken into medium to large size florettes • 1 lb. of carrots, sliced in healthy size chunks • 2 medium to large sized onions • 4-5 cloves of garlic, crushed • 2-inch chunk of ginger, grated • 2 cups of frozen peas SAUCE: • 1 cup raw cashews • 1 cup vegetable broth OTHER INGREDIENTS: • 3 T. olive oil • 2 tsp. coriander seeds, crushed • 1 tsp. Red pepper flakes • 1-1/2 tsp. turmeric • 1 tsp. garam masala • 1 tsp. salt • 1 T. tamarind paste • 1 T. tomato paste • 2 cups vegetable broth • 1 can of coconut milk OR 1 cup of almond milk (I used almond milk) TOPPING: • 2 cups of fine ground bread crumbs • 1 cup of roasted cashews • 1 T. olive oil • 1 T. butter
1. Soak the cashews in a bowl with water for at least 45-60 minutes.
2. Chop up cauliflower and carrots, toss in 1 T. of olive oil and roast in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes or until veggies are cooked but not too soft because they will be heated again in the oven.
3. Chop up the onion into large chunks; place in a food processor with ginger chunk and garlic cloves. Pulse until the purée is smooth but still a little bit chunky!
4. Sauté the onion mixture in a frying pan in remaining 2 T. of olive oil and salt for about 15-20 minutes until it is nicely golden and soft. Then add the coriander, turmeric, garam masala and red pepper flakes and sauté for another 3-4 minutes before adding. Turn off and set them aside.
5. After the cashews have finished soaking, drain them and add to food processor, along with 1 cup of the vegetable broth. Purée until smooth - may take about 5 minutes.
6. Returning to onion mixture, add tamarind, tomato paste, 1 cup of vegetable broth, coconut or almond milk and the cashew cream purée. Add roasted vegetables, frozen peas to this mixture and then place it into a 8x12 casserole dish.
7. Sauté the bread crumbs, cashews, olive oil and butter together until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle on top of casserole dish.
8. Place in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until bubbling and hot.